RTE Hades Load-Flow
LicenceThe 64 bit linux version of RTE Hades is freely downloadable through the link on the side column of this page. It will expire on November 1st, 2018. It is fully functional (no size limitation). Commercial use is forbidden. The license is restricted to academic, R&D and trial uses as precised in the end user license agreement provided in the archive.
RTE HADES is a load flow tool provided by RTE for load flow calculations. It calculates the final system state, ie the magnitude and the phase angle values for all the nodes, either on the main AC network or on all calculable AC networks. Power flows on all lines and constraints on the different elements (voltage, reactive or power flow constraints based on the limits sets) are then derived from these values.
The software is able to simulate voltage regulation – for power units and transformers -, frequency control – by the redistribution scheme for the unbalance between production and load plus losses – and automatic actions from the network's active elements – phase-shifting transformers, static var compensators –.
Running the software
To run the software, the user has to enter the following command in a terminal:
hades2.sh <inputFile> <outputFile>.
For example, if the user wants to run a calculation on the example file provided with the distribution, he/she has to type:
hades2.sh examples/input_IEEE14nodes.xml examples/output_IEEE14nodes.xml
The inputs are divided into two main parts:
1. the network description
2. the parameters description
The network description contains the characteristics of the equipments (lines, transformers, power units, etc.) and the network topology. Values are given on a per-unit base with the base voltage equal to 100/nominalV.
The behavior of the model can be adjusted using parameters. The most important parameters are the following ones:
- 'typeCompens': select the way the unbalance between production and load plus losses is handled (0 = redistribution on the different power units, 1 = redistribution on the loads, 2 = no redistribution).
- 'nivTraces': 0 is minimal logs, 1 is intermediate logs level, 2 is debug level
- 'numcnx': if 1, the calculation is done on the main AC network / if 0, the calculation is done on all the calculables AC networks
- 'bilanPV': «true» forces the model to choose a PV node as slack node
- 'limUhaute and limUbasse': indicate the maximum and minimum voltage value acceptable at the end of calculation.
The model inputs are provided in a XML file that must comply with the xsd file available in the distribution.
Phase angles (in radians) and magnitudes (in the per-unit basis) for voltage are given for all nodes in the calculated network. Power flows on the lines and transformers as well as the power injections are also provided.
In addition to these values, some information regarding the calculation process is given in the outputs such as the iterations number, the slack node selected and the initial mismatch between production and load plus losses. Constraints such as voltage, reactive or power flows constraints can also be found in the ouputs at the end of the file.
The output of the tool is a XML file that complies with the xsd file provided in the distribution.
At the end of the calculation, a status is associated with the results.
- 0 stands for calculation convergence.
- All the other values indicate a problem into the calculation process.
- 1 is associated with a non-convergent calculation: the tool isn't able to find a solution and the user must search for data errors or maximum power transfer issues
- 2 indicates that the calculation began but couldn't go to its end. One possible reason could be that the mismatch between production and load plus losses is larger than the amount of power available on units participating in the distribution process.
- 6 indicates that one voltage magnitude – at least - is outside the predefined bounds [limUbasse;limUhaute] at the end of the calculation process.
- Other values are related to problem with the input files or software internal issues
Support or Contact